THE MGA 1600 Mk II
Introduced in March of 1961, the MGA 1600 Mk II was the final, and fully-evolved, version of MG’s popular sports car. Outwardly, the Mk II received face-lifting around the grille and taillights, yet it retained the classic and elegant Roadster silhouette and dimensions. Under the hood lay the biggest change; some 10 more horsepower than the stand 1600. Intake valves were bigger, and compression up from 8.3 to 8.9 to 1. Acceleration was slightly better, while top speed raised to considerably over 100 mph (107, factory rating). From the driver’s view, there was little interior change, except for increased use of leather trim in the dash area. Handling characteristics remained as impressive as the earlier cars.